Saturday, September 29, 2007

View from Laptop Checkout

I sit here at laptop check out and all is peaceful. The low murmur of voices or the rustling of papers is all that can be heard. A sniffle or two can be heard from the aisles. Sounds like flu and cold season is about to start. A small child clings to her fathers leg and looks around in wonderment. Her eyes big and filled with questions. Next to them a young woman smiles as she reads her computer screen. Is she reading a funny story or looking at an amusing picture, perhaps a friend has shared a funny thing in an email? No matter, the look of joy and amusement is enough to satisfy my curiosity. Someone is reading a newspaper with such a look of intensity. His eyes seem to burn through the paper.



Yes all is right in the world, well at least in the library. The humming of the computers, the shuffling of the papers and the pitter patter of fingers dancing across the keyboard whisper that it is so.



To which I ask myself, where are the children? Where are the lively bunch that giggle and fill this place with life? The ones that bubble with excitement and shout for joy? And make me want to pull my hair out? LOL

No comments: